What’s the best way to get alkaline?
Drinking natural Alkaline Water (such as UltraStream water) is considered safe since it contains natural Alkaline minerals. USA made shipped from California.
However, you should use caution with artificial Alkaline Water from electronic ionizers, which likely contains fewer minerals necessary for good health than its high pH would have you believe. Over-consumption of artificially alkalized water may leave you mineral deficient.
Is drinking alkaline water better than eating alkalizing foods?
It’s not better… It’s the same.
Eating alkalizing foods, especially dark leafy greens, is a fabulous health strategy. However, the actual alkaline minerals in a typical alkaline diet plan, even when you eat lots of ‘alkalizing’ foods, can be quite low. For that reason, drinking Alkaline Water will complement your diet with the ultimate goal of maintaining an alkaline balance.
Look at the recommended RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) for the minerals you want in your water.
RDA’s for calcium (chart)
RDA’s for magnesium (Chart)
RDA’s for potassium (Chart)
RDA’s for sodium (Chart)
When you think about it drinking Alkaline Water is the easiest way to get alkaline minerals.
Typical alkaline-forming foods
These are foods to include, especially when balancing acidic pH levels:
- Nuts and Seeds: almonds, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, flax, spelt, lentils and sprouted seeds,
- Oils: flax, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, Evening Primrose, borage and coconut oil,
- Most Fruit: especial lycitrus (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, etc.), grapes and raisins, avocado, tomato, and melons.
Typical acidic forming foods
Following are foods to avoid with a high acidic pH level:
Once pH has been restored to a proper balance, include meat, dairy, and grains to about 20 percent of your diet.
- All Meats,
- Dairy: except goat’s milk (Dairy products are a part of a healthy diet, but when pH levels are acidic, avoid dairy until your pH levels are normalized),
- Crustaceans (shrimp, lobster, etc.),
- Sugar and Condiments,
- Coffee and Tea,
- Some Fruit (When pH levels are acidic avoid these fruits until your pH levels are normalized: blueberries, canned or glazed fruits, cranberries, currants, and plums),
- Rice (although, brown rice is low acid-forming),
- Fast foods,
- Corn oil,
- Vegetable oil,
- Sunflower oil
- Hydrogenated oils,
What is the best way to combat the acidic forming foods we eat?
Drinking natural Alkaline Water (such as UltraStream water) is considered safe since it contains natural minerals. There are two UltraStream options available. The Benchtop and Undersink versions.
What does Alkaline Water do for us?
There are studies that suggest alkaline water can be helpful for certain conditions. For example, a 2012 study found that drinking alkaline water with a pH of 8.8 may help deactivate pepsin, which is the main enzyme that causes acid reflux. Another study suggested that drinking alkaline water may have benefits for people who have high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol.
A more recent study that included 100 people found a significant difference in whole blood viscosity after consuming high pH water compared to regular water after a strenuous workout. Viscosity is the direct measurement of how blood flows through the vessels. Those who consumed high pH water reduced viscosity by 6.3 percent compared to 3.36 percent with standard purified drinking water. This means blood flowed more efficiently with Alkaline Water. This can increase oxygen delivery throughout the body.
Drinking Alkaline Water has many possible health benefits, including:
- Anti-aging properties (via liquid antioxidants that absorb more quickly into the human body)
- Colon-cleansing properties
- Immune system support
- Hydration, skin health, and other detoxifying properties
- Weight loss
- Cancer resistance
- Casiday R, et al. (2018) Blood, sweat, and buffers: pH regulation during exercise.
- Koufman JA, et al. (2012). Potential benefits of pH 8.8 alkaline drinking water as an adjunct in the treatment of reflux disease. DOI:
- Kozisek F. (n.d.) Health risks from drinking demineralised water.
- Wang Y. (2012). Preliminary observation on changes of blood pressure, blood sugar and blood lipids after using alkaline ionized drinking water.
- Weidman J, et al. (2016). Effect of electrolyzed high-pH Alkaline Water on blood viscosity in healthy adults.
- Wynn E, et al. (2009). Alkaline mineral water lowers bone resorption even in calcium sufficiency.
- World Health Organization. Calcium and Magnesium in Water: Public Health Significance.